‘I’m going to be a school shooter’: FBI alerted about Florida gunman last year

tips

news  • 

‘I’m going to be a school shooter’: FBI alerted about Florida gunman last year

He was reported for comments he made on YouTube

Nikolas Cruz, the 19-year-old who killed more than a dozen people at a Florida high school yesterday, posted online that he would be a school shooter.

His comments were reported to the FBI back in September 2017 – he wrote underneath a YouTube video: "I'm going to be a school shooter."

Ben Bennight, the YouTuber who reported the comment, said he was interviewed by the FBI at the time.

Image may contain: Trademark, Logo

He added in a video uploaded yesterday:

"The FBI just left my house in regards to this situation and let me give you a little bit of backstory back in September or 2017, matter of fact on September 24, I sent a screenshot of a comment on one of my videos.

"I screen-shotted the comment I hit the report button and reported it to YouTube."

Bennight knew nothing more about Cruz, and so the FBI's interview with him was short.

YouTube deleted Cruz's comments at the time, and took down his account last night for violating violence policy.

Cruz was arrested for shooting 19 people at his former high school in Broward County, Florida. He had been expelled from his high school over a disciplinary issue, and was known by classmates as a kid who "talked about guns a lot.

Cops said he was arrested with a legally-purchased AR-15 style rifle and "countless magazines" of ammo.

@hshukman